Budapest is actually two cities, Buda and Pest which are on opposite sides of the Danube. It is a very beautiful city that rivals Prague in my opinion. The city is very inexpensive, especially compared to Western Europe with an interesting cuisine. Amazing views and a wonderful trip down the Danube make this a great destination.
See & Do
- Hero’s Square. UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- City Center. Main spot
- Old City. Historical
- Fisherman’s Bastion. Castle, church, incredible views.
- Parliament. Incredible and beautiful building.
- Danube Cruise. Went on a magnificent cruise down the Danube. Dinner while still light, then on the way back all the buildings were lit up along the river. The majority of the main attractions are along the river so you can see everything from the river.
- Safety. While I personally didn’t have any issues, I have heard tales of pick pockets and muggings, nothing any more alarming than any other European city. Beware of gypsies trying to sell you stuff and possibly fighting with each other. We encountered two gypsies, one of whom must have infringed on the other’s “turf” and started throwing sunglasses at her. Was pretty amusing.
- Weather. It can get pretty hot over the summer, upwards of 90F when I was there. Also, since the city is along the river, it is possible for severe flooding to occur. So check the weather for rainy seasons and any bad storms in preparation for your visit. Luckily we arrived just after major flooding.