Although I only spent a few days in Lithuania around Vilnius, I had a blast. Similar to the other Baltic states, Lithuania has it's own uniqueness and the people are very hospitable. And of course, Lithuania has the most beautiful women, along with Latvia
, that I have come across in my travels. Everyone has their own taste, but I mean come on, 80% of the women have beautiful blue eyes and blond hair.
Vilnius Old Town
Highlights: City, cathedrals, gardens
Suggest Staying: 3 days
Stay Around: Old Town
Very cool, hip city mixed with classic European style. Although I heard a lot of young people move away after university in search of more/better job opportunities, those that stay seem to bring a young, progressive energy that can be seen in pockets throughout the city. This complements the classic and beautiful old town quite nicely. I was lucky to have met a new Lithuanian friend who showed me around a bit and gave me a wonderful local experience. People are incredibly hospitable and interested in others. I wouldn’t expect a ton of sightseeing, but instead try to immerse yourself in the local culture. For me, this turned out to be a really fun place, especially if you meet the right people.
See & Do
- Old Town. Used to be the Jewish ghetto.
- Uzupis. Bohemian district. Hipster neighborhood.
- Bernardine Gardens. Beautiful park.
- Riverbank. Nice for a walk.
- Gediminas Tower. Baroque style. Nice views.
- Vilnius Cathedral. Roman Catholic. Really nice, popular.
- Steuklas. Make a wish and then turn 3 times for good luck. Located in front of Vilnius Cathedral on the ground.
- St. Ann’s. Gothic Church.
- Orthodox Cathedral. Impressive looking.
- Vilnius Artillery Bastion. Located on the hill on the edge of Old Town.
Food & Drink
- Le Butcher. Burgers.
- Kitchen. Very good. If you go on the weekend or are a big party, make a reservation. It gets crowded and it’s not that big. Balcony seating over old town as well as inside.
- Sky Bar. Top of the Radisson Blu. Excellent cocktails and great city view.
- Vaseros Terasa. Outdoor patio. Live music.
- Salento. Internationals, dance club, lounge. Kind of terrible, but kind of awesome at the same time. If you’re an attractive girl, be prepared to be hit on by foreign dudes. During the week it’s one of the only dance clubs open late.
- Taxi. Use eTAKSI or Taxify if you want to order a taxi from your mobile phone.
Suggest Staying: 1/2 day
Castle on an island located just outside Vilnius. Very cool place with lots of interesting information and showcases many medieval artifacts. There is a chapel inside as well, which was actually in use when I was visiting. The town there is also quite nice, you can stroll around the lake. You can also practice your archery.
Food & Drink
- Kybynlar. Great, popular place for Kibinai, Lithuania food that resembles empanadas. You can get them in other parts of Lithuania, but they are best in Trakai.
- Getting There. It’s pretty easy to get to Trakai by public bus, which takes about 50 minutes from Vilnius and costs 2 Euro each way.<
- Logistics. Plan to spend about 30-60 minutes there. You will walk about 1 mile from the bus station to the castle.
- Lodging: $133 (AirBnB)
- Transportation: $30 (taxi, bus)
- Activities: $3 (castle)
- Food: $80 (estimated $20/day)
- Weather. It apparently rains quite frequently in Lithuania, so keep that in mind for planning your activities.
- Guides. InYourPocket offers great advice on the city in the way of sights, food, nightlife, etc.
- Beer. Supposed to be very good, but not well known outside Lithuania because not much of it is exported.
- Language. The native language doesn't have curse words, they are actually borrowed from Russian. So polite are Lithuanians.
- How To Tell If A Girl Is Single.. I was told by local girls that there is a trick with the end of the last name that indicates if a girl is single. Clever, but slightly complicated, at least if you don't understand the language. It's also irrelevant because this naming convention isn't necessarily still used with the new generation. Interesting nonetheless and fun topic of conversational.